Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Is there a difference between Goals and Vision?

This question has been rolling through my mind the last few weeks.  Let me start by saying, I am NO expert on this.  There is NO research done...outside of what I have thought through in my own head (so if you keep reading...it could be scary).

First of all, I have to say, there is nothing wrong with setting goals.  I know some people thrive in that environment.  Some people thrive by having something out in front of them that keeps them driven.  I am currently (and this has been an off and on process for a long time) trying to lose weight and get healthier.  So that looks like eating better and working out.  The eating better is so that I don't drop at an early age because I love fried foods.  The working out is me doing some cardio and a little weight work.  The goal of both of those things is to be healthier, feel better, and to be able to enjoy the incredible family and all the things God has before me.  That is a good goal, it is measurable in multiple ways, there are some specifics to it, and it is attainable.

Vision is different than this (just gave you my answer to the question).  Vision is more than a goal.  Vision points in a direction.  Vision is an anchor for everything else you do.  Vision is not a momentary achievement, which most goals are.  If I set a goal for weight loss, finances, etc, there is a moment in time where that goal is reached.  Vision is there even without reaching a specific goal or long after that goal is met.

BUT and here is the big but, a goal can never contradict the vision. I can set a goal to enjoy an afternoon of watching football (you can see where my mind is this close to the season starting), but that goal can never contradict the vision for my family and how I am going love and interact with them.

Vision trumps everything!  Vision makes us look at the big picture.  Vision drives our goals.  Vision drives our thoughts.  Vision drives the ins and outs of our days.  Proverbs 29:18 says, "Where there is no vision, people cast off restraint." (some versions say the people perish).  I think cast off restraint gets to the heart.  It means without vision people do whatever the heck they want.  People live in a way that has no anchor.  People do whatever feels right in a moment. The truth is, the next moment may bring something else that "feels right".  Vision does not allow that happen!

I have lived lots of my life without vision...there is my confession.  I have lived doing what I want in any given moment.  I had goals - I provided for my family.  I was a nice guy.  I lived with people seeing me as I wanted them to see me, not as I truly was.  There were goals...and I achieved them (the good and bad ones).

I want to live with vision!  God gave me this a few months ago.  Honor God, Honor my family, and work my butt off for people.  When I live with that vision in front of me, it completely dictates how I do EVERYTHING!

I want to be present in each moment, while having an eternal vision in front of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment